SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION
Washington, D.C. 20549
Report of Foreign Private Issuer Pursuant to Rule 13a-16 or 15d-16 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934
For the month of May 2018
Commission File Number: 001-31819
Gold Reserve Inc.
(Exact name of registrant as specified in its charter)
999 W. Riverside Avenue, Suite 401
Spokane, Washington 99201
(Address of principal executive office)
Indicate by check mark whether the registrant files or will file annual reports under cover Form 20-F or Form 40-F.
Form 20-F ¨ Form 40-F x
by check mark if the registrant is submitting the Form 6-K in paper as
Regulation S-T Rule 101(b)(1): ¨
by check mark if the registrant is submitting the Form 6-K in paper as
Regulation S-T Rule 101(b)(7): ¨
Indicate by check mark whether the registrant by
furnishing the information contained in this Form is also thereby furnishing
the information to the Commission pursuant to Rule 12g3-2(b) under the
Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
Yes ¨ No x
If “Yes” is marked, indicate below the file number assigned to the registrant in connection with Rule 12g3-2(b):
This Report on Form 6-K and the exhibit attached hereto are hereby incorporated by reference into Gold Reserve Inc.’s (the “Company”) current Registration Statements on Form F-3 on file with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”).
The following exhibit is furnished with this Form 6-K:
Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Statements and information
The information presented or incorporated by reference in this report contains both historical information and "forward-looking statements" (within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act and Section 21E of the Exchange Act) or "forward-looking information" (within the meaning of applicable Canadian securities laws) (collectively referred to herein as "forward-looking statements") that may state our intentions, hopes, beliefs, expectations or predictions for the future.
Forward-looking statements are necessarily based upon a number of estimates and assumptions that, while considered reasonable by us at this time, are inherently subject to significant business, economic and competitive uncertainties and contingencies that may cause our actual financial results, performance or achievements to be materially different from those expressed or implied herein and many of which are outside our control.
Forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties, as well as assumptions, including those set out herein, that may never materialize, prove incorrect or materialize other than as currently contemplated which could cause our results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. The words "believe," "anticipate," "expect," "intend," "estimate," "plan," "may," "could" and other similar expressions that are predictions of or indicate future events and future trends, which do not relate to historical matters, identify forward-looking statements. Any such forward-looking statements are not intended to provide any assurances as to future results.
Numerous factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those described in the forward-looking statements, including, without limitation:
· The risk that the conclusions of management and its qualified consultants contained in the most recent Preliminary Economic Assessment of the Siembra Minera Gold Copper Project (the "Project") in accordance with National Instrument 43-101 Standards of Disclosure for Mineral Projects may not be realized in the future.
· delay or failure by Venezuela to make payments or otherwise honor its commitments under the Settlement Agreement, including with respect to the sale of the Mining Data or the payment of the Award;
· the risk that Venezuela may not transfer the funds deposited to the trust account for the benefit of the Company at Banco de Desarrollo Económico y Social de Venezuela ("Bandes Bank") (the "Trust Account"), a Venezuelan state-owned development bank, to our U.S. or Canadian bank accounts;
· the risk of the imposition of further sanctions by the U.S., Canada or other jurisdictions that may negatively impact our ability to freely transfer funds held in the Trust Account or our ability to do business in Venezuela;
· the ability of the Company and Venezuela to (i) successfully overcome any legal, regulatory or technical obstacles to operate Siembra Minera and develop and later operate the Siembra Minera Project, (ii) obtain any remaining governmental approvals and (iii) obtain financing to fund the capital and initial operating costs of the Siembra Minera Project;
· the risk the activities planned to be undertaken pursuant to the Permit to Effect and the social programs planned to be undertaken associated with the Siembra Minera Project area may not proceed as anticipated;
· risks associated with exploration, delineation of adequate resources and reserves, regulatory and permitting obstacles and other risks incident to the exploration, development and operation of mining properties in Venezuela and generally for mining projects including our ability to achieve revenue producing operations in the future;
· local risks associated with the concentration of our future operations and assets in Venezuela, including operational, security, legal, regulatory, political and economic risks;
· our ability to resume our efforts to enforce and collect the Award, including the associated costs of such enforcement and collection effort and the timing and success of that effort, if Venezuela fails to make payments to the Trust Account under the Settlement Agreement, it is terminated and further efforts to meet the commitments in the Settlement Agreement are abandoned;
· pending the receipt of payments to the Trust Account and transfer of such payments under the Settlement Agreement to our U.S. or Canadian bank accounts, our continued ability to service our obligations as they come due and access future additional funding, when required, for ongoing liquidity and capital resources, including as a result of payments of certain of those funds that must be made to our shareholders and holders of CVRs;
· potential shareholder dilution resulting from future financings;
· our prospects in general for the identification, exploration and development of additional mining projects;
· risks associated with the abilities and continued participation of key employees; and
· changes in U.S., Canadian and/or other tax laws to which we are subject.
See “Risk Factors” contained in our Annual Information Form and Annual Report on Form 40-F filed on www.sedar.com and www.sec.gov, respectively for additional risk factors that could cause results to differ materially from forward-looking statements.
Investors are cautioned not to put undue reliance on forward-looking statements, and investors should not infer that there has been no change in our affairs since the date of this report that would warrant any modification of any forward-looking statement made in this document, other documents periodically filed with the SEC or other securities regulators or presented on the Company’s website. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date made. All subsequent written and oral forward-looking statements attributable to us or persons acting on our behalf are expressly qualified in their entirety by this notice. We disclaim any intent or obligation to update publicly or otherwise revise any forward-looking statements or the foregoing list of assumptions or factors, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, subject to our disclosure obligations under applicable U.S. and Canadian securities regulations. Investors are urged to read the Company’s filings with U.S. and Canadian securities regulatory agencies, which can be viewed online at www.sec.gov and www.sedar.com, respectively.
Pursuant to the requirements of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the registrant has duly caused this report to be signed on its behalf by the undersigned, thereunto duly authorized.
Dated: May 15, 2018
GOLD RESERVE INC. (Registrant)
By: /s/ Robert A. McGuinness
Robert A. McGuinness, its Vice President of Finance,
Chief Financial Officer and its Principal Financial and Accounting Officer
GOLD RESERVE PROVIDES UPDATE ON VENEZUELA ACTIVITIES
SPOKANE, WASHINGTON, May 10, 2018
Gold Reserve Inc. (TSX.V: GRZ) (OTCQX: GDRZF) (“Gold Reserve” or the “Company”) is pleased to announce that the mixed company Empresa Mixta Ecosocialista Siembra Minera S .A. (“SM”), owned 45% by Gold Reserve and 55% by the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, has received the Permit to Effect for the Siembra Minera Gold Copper Project (the "SM Project") from the Venezuelan Ministry of the Environment. The SM Project is a gold-copper-silver deposit located in the Kilometer 88 mining district of Bolivar State in southeast Venezuela. On March 16, 2018, Gold Reserve published a 43-101 compliant Preliminary Economic Assessment on the SM Project which can be found at www.goldreserveinc.com, www.sedar.com or www.sec.gov.
The Permit to Effect will allow site clearing, construction of a temporary camp and warehouse facilities, drilling of dewatering and development drill holes, construction of access roads on the property, and opening of the quarry for construction aggregates. The quarry permit was previously received from Bolivar State in October, 2017. Additional permits and authorizations will be required to further develop the SM Project and these are scheduled to be requested during this early works stage. The Company is very pleased with the proactive approach to support the project and fast track the permitting process while respecting the environmental and mining laws of Venezuela.
The Company also announced that SM is launching social programs to improve the health care in the area, addressing the malaria problem with medicines and protective measures. This program also includes the rehabilitation and upgrading of schools and sports courts located in the vicinity of the project area and developing engineering assessments for future upgrades to the local communities' water supply and sewage system infrastructure.
On May 11, 2018 an inauguration ceremony on the property is expected to be held to mark the formal commencement of activities now that the Environmental Permit has been issued. The ceremony is to be attended by the Minister of the Environment, the Minister of Mines, the Bolivar State Governor the Commanders of the Army for Bolivar State and Commanders of the National Guard, along with representative of Sifontes Municipality, the surrounding communities and local labor leaders as well as representatives of Siembra Minera and the Company.
Minister of Mines Victor Cano stated, “The issuance of the Permit to Effect, which authorizes the start of the early works construction activities on the SM Project, is a major milestone for the project and the people of Venezuela. This will also have a major positive impact to the local community with many jobs, job training, better health care, and education for the children.”Gold Reserve also announces that this week an additional US $13.6 million has been transferred to its bank account in North America from its Trust account in Venezuela.
Further information regarding the Company can be located at www.goldreserveinc.com, www.sec.gov and www.sedar.com
Reserve Inc. Contact
A. Douglas Belanger, President
999 W. Riverside Avenue, Suite 401
Spokane, WA 9920I USA
Tel. (509) 623-1500
Fax (509) 623-1634
CAUTIONARY STATEMENT REGARDING FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS
This release contains “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of applicable U.S. federal securities laws and “forward-looking information” within the meaning of applicable Canadian provincial and territorial securities laws and state Gold Reserve’s and its management’s intentions, hopes, beliefs, expectations or predictions for the future including without limitation statements with respect to the development of the SM Project, including the activities to be undertaken pursuant to the Permit to Effect issued for the project and social programs to be undertaken in the project area . Forward-looking statements are necessarily based upon a number of estimates and assumptions that, while considered reasonable by management at this time, are inherently subject to significant business, economic and competitive uncertainties and contingencies.
We caution that such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other risks that may cause the actual outcomes, financial results, performance, or achievements of Gold Reserve to be materially different from our estimated outcomes, future results, performance, or achievements expressed or implied by those forward-looking statements, including without limitation the risk that the development of the SM project, the activities planned to be undertaken pursuant to the Permit to Effect and the social programs planned to be undertaken in the SM Project area may not proceed as anticipated. This list is not exhaustive of the factors that may affect any of Gold Reserve’s forward-looking statements. For a more detailed discussion of the risk factors affecting the Company’s business, including without limitation the effect of sanctions imposed by the governments of the United States and Canada against dealings with certain Venezuelan entities and individuals, see the Company’s Annual Information Form and Management’s Discussion & Analysis for the year ended December 31, 2017 which have been filed on SEDAR and are available under the Company’s profile at www.sedar.com and which form part of the Company’s Form 40-F for the year ended December 31, 2017 which have been filed on EDGAR and are available under the Company’s profile at www.edgar.com.
Investors are cautioned not to put undue reliance on forward-looking statements. All subsequent written and oral forward-looking statements attributable to Gold Reserve or persons acting on its behalf are expressly qualified in their entirety by this notice. Gold Reserve disclaims any intent or obligation to update publicly or otherwise revise any forward-looking statements or the foregoing list of assumptions or factors, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, subject to its disclosure obligations under applicable rules promulgated by the Securities and Exchange Commission and applicable Canadian provincial and territorial securities laws.
Neither the TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.