SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION
Washington, D.C. 20549
Report of Foreign Private Issuer Pursuant to Rule 13a-16 or 15d-16 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934
For the month of March 2019
Commission File Number: 001-31819
Gold Reserve Inc.
(Exact name of registrant as specified in its charter)
999 W. Riverside Avenue, Suite 401
Spokane, Washington 99201
(Address of principal executive office)
Indicate by check mark whether the registrant files or will file annual reports under cover Form 20-F or Form 40-F.
Form 20-F ¨ Form 40-F x
by check mark if the registrant is submitting the Form 6-K in paper as
Regulation S-T Rule 101(b)(1): ¨
by check mark if the registrant is submitting the Form 6-K in paper as
Regulation S-T Rule 101(b)(7): ¨
Indicate by check mark whether the registrant by
furnishing the information contained in this Form is also thereby furnishing
the information to the Commission pursuant to Rule 12g3-2(b) under the
Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
Yes ¨ No x
If “Yes” is marked, indicate below the file number assigned to the registrant in connection with Rule 12g3-2(b):
This Report on Form 6-K and the exhibit attached hereto are hereby incorporated by reference into Gold Reserve Inc.’s (the “Company”) current Registration Statements on Form F-3 on file with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”).
The following exhibit is furnished with this Form 6-K:
99.1 News Release
Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Statements and information
The information presented or incorporated by reference in this report contains both historical information and "forward-looking statements" (within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act and Section 21E of the Exchange Act) or "forward-looking information" (within the meaning of applicable Canadian securities laws) (collectively referred to herein as "forward-looking statements") that may state our intentions, hopes, beliefs, expectations or predictions for the future.
Forward-looking statements are necessarily based upon a number of estimates and assumptions that, while considered reasonable by us at this time, are inherently subject to significant business, economic and competitive uncertainties and contingencies that may cause our actual financial results, performance or achievements to be materially different from those expressed or implied herein and many of which are outside our control.
Forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties, as well as assumptions, including those set out herein, that may never materialize, prove incorrect or materialize other than as currently contemplated which could cause our results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. The words "believe," "anticipate," "expect," "intend," "estimate," "plan," "may," "could" and other similar expressions that are predictions of or indicate future events and future trends, which do not relate to historical matters, identify forward-looking statements. Any such forward-looking statements are not intended to provide any assurances as to future results.
Numerous factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those described in the forward-looking statements, including, without limitation:
· risks associated with the timing for the approval and implementation of the planned return of capital transaction and the anticipated tax treatment for shareholders of such transaction;
· continued delay or failure by the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela ("Venezuela") to make payments or otherwise honor its commitments under the settlement agreement (as amended, the "Settlement Agreement"), including with respect to the transfer of the funds already deposited into a trust account for the benefit of the Company at Banco de Desarrollo Económico y Social de Venezuela ("Bandes Bank") (the "Trust Account");
· delay or failure by Venezuela to honor its commitments associated with the formation and operation of Empresa Mixta Ecosocialista Siembra Minera, S.A. ("Siembra Minera") including risks associated with the ability of the Company and Venezuela to (i) successfully overcome legal or regulatory obstacles to operate Siembra Minera for the purpose of developing the Siembra Minera Project, (ii) complete any additional definitive documentation and finalize any remaining governmental approvals and (iii) obtain financing to fund the capital costs of the Siembra Minera Project;
· risks associated with the current sanctions or the imposition of further sanctions by the U.S., Canada or other jurisdictions that negatively impact our ability to freely transfer funds held in the Trust Account or our ability to do business in Venezuela;
· risks associated with the collection of the Award and concentration of our operations and assets in Venezuela which are or will be subject to risks specific to Venezuela, including the effects of political, economic and social developments, instability and unrest; international response to Venezuelan domestic and international policies; U.S. and Canadian Sanctions and invalidation, confiscation, expropriation or rescission of governmental orders, permits, agreements or property rights either by the existing or future regimes;
· risks associated with our ability to resume our efforts to enforce and collect the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes arbitral award (the "Award") granted in our favor, including the associated costs of such enforcement and collection effort and the timing and success of that effort, if Venezuela fails to make payments under the Settlement Agreement, it is terminated and further efforts related to the Settlement Agreement are abandoned;
· the risk that the conclusions of management and its qualified consultants contained in the most recent Preliminary Economic Assessment of the Siembra Minera Gold Copper Project (the "Siembra Minera Project") in accordance with Canadian National Instrument 43-101- Standards of Disclosure for Mineral Projects ("NI 43-101") may not be realized in the future;
· risks associated with exploration, delineation of adequate reserves, regulatory and permitting obstacles and other risks associated with the development of the Siembra Minera Project;
· risks associated with our continued ability to service outstanding obligations as they come due and access future additional funding, when required, for ongoing liquidity and capital resources, pending the receipt of payments under the Settlement Agreement;
· risks associated with our prospects in general for the identification, exploration and development of mining projects and other risks normally incident to the exploration, development and operation of mining properties, including our ability to achieve revenue producing operations in the future;
· shareholder dilution resulting from the future sale of additional equity, if required;
· value realized from the disposition of the remaining assets related to our previous mining project in Venezuela known as the “Brisas Project”, if any;
· abilities of and continued participation by certain employees; and
· impact of current or future U.S. and/or Canadian tax laws to which we are subject.
See “Risk Factors” contained in our Annual Information Form and Annual Report on Form 40-F filed on www.sedar.com and www.sec.gov, respectively for additional risk factors that could cause results to differ materially from forward-looking statements.
Investors are cautioned not to put undue reliance on forward-looking statements, and investors should not infer that there has been no change in our affairs since the date of this report that would warrant any modification of any forward-looking statement made in this document, other documents periodically filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (the "SEC") or other securities regulators or presented on the Company’s website. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date made. All subsequent written and oral forward-looking statements attributable to us or persons acting on our behalf are expressly qualified in their entirety by this notice. We disclaim any intent or obligation to update publicly or otherwise revise any forward-looking statements or the foregoing list of assumptions or factors, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, subject to our disclosure obligations under applicable U.S. and Canadian securities regulations. Investors are urged to read the Company’s filings with U.S. and Canadian securities regulatory agencies, which can be viewed online at www.sec.gov and www.sedar.com, respectively.
Pursuant to the requirements of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the registrant has duly caused this report to be signed on its behalf by the undersigned, thereunto duly authorized.
Dated: March 28, 2019
GOLD RESERVE INC. (Registrant)
By: /s/ Robert A. McGuinness
Robert A. McGuinness, its Vice President of Finance,
Chief Financial Officer and its Principal Financial and Accounting Officer
GOLD RESERVE ANNOUNCES
INTENTION TO RETURN BETWEEN
US$90 MILLION AND US$100 MILLION TO SHAREHOLDERS AND DATE FOR
ANNUAL GENERAL AND SPECIAL MEETING OF SHAREHOLDERS
Spokane, Washington, March 27, 2019 NR 19-03
Gold Reserve Inc. (TSXV: GRZ) (OTCQX: GDRZF) (“Gold Reserve” or the “Company”) today finalized its plan to distribute a portion of the funds received in connection with the July 2016 settlement agreement, as amended (the “Settlement Agreement”), pursuant to which the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela (“Venezuela”) agreed to pay the Company $1.032 billion to satisfy the award (including interest) granted in the Company’s favour by the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes and to purchase mining data related to the Company’s Brisas Project. To date, the Company has received approximately $276 million under the terms of the Settlement Agreement with approximately $756 million remaining to be paid by Venezuela.
The board of directors of the Company (the “Board”) has approved the distribution of between US$0.91 and US$1.01 in cash per Class A common share of the Company (the “Class A Shares”), or between approximately US$90 million and US$100 million in the aggregate, to holders of Class A Shares (the “Shareholders”) as a return of capital (the “Return of Capital Transaction”). A final decision on the amount to be distributed will be made closer to the date of the Company’s next meeting of Shareholders. The Return of Capital Transaction is intended to occur on a tax-efficient basis for Canadian income tax purposes.
The Return of Capital Transaction is to be completed pursuant to a court-approved plan of arrangement transaction under the Business Corporations Act (Alberta) and requires approval by the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench (the “Court”) and at least two-thirds of the votes cast by Shareholders in respect of a special resolution. The Company will seek to obtain an interim order of the Court approving the Return of Capital Transaction on April 16, 2019. Shareholder approval will be sought at the Company’s annual and special meeting of Shareholders to be held at 999 W. Riverside Avenue, 7th Floor, Masthead Suite, Spokane, Washington, USA on June 13, 2019 at 9:30 a.m. (Pacific daylight time).
The Board is unanimously recommending that Shareholders vote in favor of the completion of the Return of Capital Transaction. If Shareholder and Court approval are obtained, Gold Reserve expects to effect the Return of Capital Transaction by the end of June 2019.
Full details of the Return of Capital Transaction will be described in the Company’s management proxy circular and other related materials. Those documents are expected to be mailed to Shareholders, filed with applicable Canadian securities regulatory authorities and made available without charge on SEDAR at www.sedar.com and on EDGAR at www.sec.gov, and posted on the Company’s website at www.goldreserveinc.com, on or about May 9, 2019.
Reserve Inc. Contact
A. Douglas Belanger, President
999 W. Riverside Ave., Suite 401
Spokane, WA 99201 USA
Tel. (509) 623-1500
Fax (509) 623-1634
CAUTIONARY STATEMENT REGARDING FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS
This release contains “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of applicable U.S. federal securities laws and “forward-looking information” within the meaning of applicable Canadian provincial and territorial securities laws and state Gold Reserve’s and its management’s intentions, hopes, beliefs, expectations or predictions for the future including without limitation statements with respect to the final terms and successful completion of the Return of Capital Transaction, the receipt of all necessary Shareholder, Court, and other regulatory approvals in respect of the Return of Capital Transaction, and future payments under the Settlement Agreement. Forward-looking statements are necessarily based upon a number of estimates and assumptions that, while considered reasonable by management at this time, are inherently subject to significant business, economic and competitive uncertainties and contingencies.
We caution that such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other risks that may cause the actual outcomes, financial results, performance, or achievements of Gold Reserve to be materially different from our estimated outcomes, future results, performance, or achievements expressed or implied by those forward-looking statements, including without limitation the timing for the approval and implementation of the Return of Capital Transaction, the anticipated tax treatment for Shareholders of the Return of Capital Transaction, the risks that payments due under the Settlement Agreement continue to be delayed, the Company may not receive future payments due under the Settlement Agreement, the Company may not be able to repatriate payments that are received, imposition of further sanctions by the U.S., Canada or other jurisdictions that may negatively impact the Company’s ability to freely transfer funds from Venezuela or our ability to do business in Venezuela.
This list is not exhaustive of the factors that may affect any of Gold Reserve’s forward-looking statements. For a more detailed discussion of the risk factors affecting the Company’s business, see the Company’s Annual Information Form and Management’s Discussion & Analysis for the year ended December 31, 2017 which have been filed on SEDAR and are available under the Company’s profile at www.sedar.com and which form part of the Company’s Form 40-F for the year ended December 31, 2017 which have been filed on EDGAR and are available under the Company’s profile at www.sec.gov/edgar.
Investors are cautioned not to put undue reliance on forward-looking statements. All subsequent written and oral forward-looking statements attributable to Gold Reserve or persons acting on its behalf are expressly qualified in their entirety by this notice. Gold Reserve disclaims any intent or obligation to update publicly or otherwise revise any forward-looking statements or the foregoing list of assumptions or factors, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, subject to its disclosure obligations under applicable rules promulgated by the Securities and Exchange Commission and applicable Canadian provincial and territorial securities laws.
Neither the TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.